On Sunday July 20th, 2014 “Lesje Evangelisk Lutersk Menighed of Township of Scandia, County of Bottineau, North Dakota” celebrated their final worship service. This congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), more commonly known as “Lesje Lutheran”, located near Souris, ND was founded in 1899. Lesje was most recently a congregation of Prairie Hope Ministry Parish. Members past/present and a number of guests celebrated Holy Communion, heard prayers of thanksgiving, and words of remembrance of the seeds of faith sown by this congregation throughout its 100+ years of ministry. Bishop Mark Narum and Rev. Carol Wendel (Vice Pastor) preached and presided at the service.
Bethlehem Lutheran Church, rural Coulee and member of United as One Lutheran Parish, celebrated its final worship August 17, 2014 with services and fellowship. This congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) held a morning worship followed by a meal, time of sharing memories, a closing worship, and reception with members, friends, and neighbors in attendance. Bishop Mark Narum and Rev. Cole Bentley (pastor of United as One Lutheran Parish) lead the closing service that included Holy Communion and prayers of thanksgiving for the means of grace. A number of previous leaders – Rev. Gerald Roise (Bethany, Minot), Rev. Dan Paulson (Wilmington, Arnegard), Rev. Ray Anderson (Living Water, Mandan), Rev. Doug Brandt (retired), Rev. Cole Bentley, Bishop Mark Narum, Rev. Larry Thompson (retired), and Rev. Charles Taft (retired) – also participated in the service.
Thanks be to God for the mission of ministry of Lesje and Bethlehem Lutheran Churches!