This season of Advent (and beyond) the Sending Team invites congregations, confirmation and church school students, Women of the ELCA groups and more to use piggy banks and the following resources to raise awareness and financial resources for World Hunger. AND… don’t forget… the congregation that collects the most money per member will be presented with the coveted Flying Pig Award at Synod Assembly. An award will also be given to the congregation who gives the largest total amount.
A Few Great Ideas~
- Check out World Hunger materials at ELCA.org
- Order your pig banks or barns from ELCA
- Other Hunger resources (Good Gifts)
- Include some stories of World Hunger’s work domestically and abroad (inserts available for download on the ELCA site)
- Include a story or invite a temple talk from a local food pantry
- Do a food drive for the food pantry in your area
- “Noisy Offering”
- Choose a Sunday to kick it all off and use the litany provided by the Sending Team
- When you send World Hunger (“Bringing’ Home the Bacon” offering to the Synod office, please note “Bringin’ Home the Bacon” or World Hunger on the memo line.)
- Advent Resources for Church and Home (2017) (includes liturgy and links to resources)
- Instructions for Making Your Own Piggy Bank
- “Pigs and Prayers” – Also known as Prayers and Litanies for Worship (pdf) (doc)
- Order free piggy banks and hunger resources
For more information contact Sherie or a member of the Synod’s Sending Team.